Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A Tender Surf

There is a man I have to tell you about....
A surfer.
I was on the subway to Brooklyn last week, it was around rush hour, not crazy, but not easy to find a seat either.
So I was standing. Against the doors.
Therefore, in front of me, is non-poled empty space.
And there was a man, with his back to me, grey hair, reading. Not holding on to anything. Keeping his knees at a respectful bend to the movement of the train, allowing his body to jostle and his feet and knees to take the sway - easily transferring it back into the floor...
He was a standing, reading, going home example of relaxed engagement.
He was the only reason I enjoyed that subway ride.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the image of you trying to surf buses on hills Charlie--

I'm pretty into surfing, and have also been known to use the handles as a swaying trapeze.

I think you should come visit check in on your mad surfing skills.
;-)