Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A Tender Surf

There is a man I have to tell you about....
A surfer.
I was on the subway to Brooklyn last week, it was around rush hour, not crazy, but not easy to find a seat either.
So I was standing. Against the doors.
Therefore, in front of me, is non-poled empty space.
And there was a man, with his back to me, grey hair, reading. Not holding on to anything. Keeping his knees at a respectful bend to the movement of the train, allowing his body to jostle and his feet and knees to take the sway - easily transferring it back into the floor...
He was a standing, reading, going home example of relaxed engagement.
He was the only reason I enjoyed that subway ride.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.
There was a time when I was still living in NYC that I prided myself on being able to surf the subway like that. I'd hold on as little as possible and just go with it so as not to fall.

Don't know where my skills are today, it's been awhile since I was on the subway, but I try every once in a while when I ride the Seattle buses. It's harder here though. We have steep hills. Still, when it's flat and I'm standing on the bus, I try not to hang on, just to scare and impress the silly Seattle natives!

Melissa said...

I like the image of you trying to surf buses on hills Charlie--

I'm pretty into surfing, and have also been known to use the handles as a swaying trapeze.

I think you should come visit check in on your mad surfing skills.
;-)