Sunday, February 22, 2009

widening

Thinking about HOME again.
and COMMUNICATION. Again.
I can't get away from them....
and recently I've had David Byrne's This Must be the Place (Naive Melody)
running through my head:
Home - is where I want to be
But I guess I'm already there
I come home - she lifted up her wings
Guess that this must be the place
I can't tell one from another
Did I find you, or you find me?
There was a time Before we were born
If someone asks, this is where I'll be . . . where I'll be
My work is full of the questions of HOME, IDENTITY and COMMUNICATION
I would have to be pretending to say each of those things are political ideas....they aren't to me - They all start at a very personal level, and move outward...hopefully to a point where they hit a place of universality.

Not saying that within what I make can't find a political bent - I'm sure its there....it just doesn't usually start there.
why am I saying all of that? I'm not sure - I guess I am fascinated by these specific ideas and how they permeate so much of what we do and how we do it...

And how in one way or another those three things are life long quests.

Next up in Blogging: My obituary. Really - It was Homework.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

As you know, home is a frequent topic of rumination for me as well. My recent post deals with it as well. Are these questions you've already taken into the studio? I imagine painting your place has contributed to the thinking, yes?

Unknown said...

Yes the painting is part of it - and I think the past year and a half have contributed even more to the questions....off to read your most recent post! xox